repadmin /bridgeheads error 1815
Andrew Austwick
2008-01-08 14:36:00 UTC
Hi

I have one domain with two sites, 2 DCs in one site and 1 DC in the other.
Everything seems to be replicating OK, but if I run the command repadmin
/bridgeheads I get the following error: Can't retrieve message string 0
(0x0), error 1815

The same error appears if I run the command from any of the servers in eithe
site. I've copied the output below:

repadmin running command /bridgeheads against server localhost

Gathering topology from site Main-Office (dc01.leadershipfactor.net):

Bridgeheads for site Main-Office (dc01.leadershipfactor.net):
Source Site Local Bridge Trns Fail. Time #
Status

=============== ============== ==== ================= ===
=======
=
AA-Home DC01Assertion IP (never)
0
Can't retrieve message string 0 (0x0), error 1815.
ForestDnsZones DomainDnsZones Configuration leadershipfactor

Bridgeheads for site AA-Home (AADC.leadershipfactor.net):
Source Site Local Bridge Trns Fail. Time #
Status

=============== ============== ==== ================= ===
=======
=
Main-Office AADCAssertion IP (never)
0
Can't retrieve message string 0 (0x0), error 1815.
ForestDnsZones DomainDnsZones leadershipfactor Configuration

Can anyone suggest what may be causing this error?

Thanks
Andrew Austwick
Aaron Sankey
2008-01-08 15:59:02 UTC
Quick question to start:
Do you see anything in the event logs pertaining to KCC errors or
replication errors?

With two sites set up like this, usually the KCC sets up the replication
topolgy without any problems, but if it does not specify a bridgehead server
at one or both of your sites, you may have some errors that pop up, but with
the small number of domain controllers you may not see any functional impact.

Check your replication topology and make sure that you have a bridgehead in
each site. You could delete your replication connections and have the KCC
set them back up, or you could set them up manually.

Before you do anything, follow the usual caveats -- backup everything,
document and test your proposed solution and perform production changes in an
appropriate service window.

I hope that helps :)

Aaron Sankey, Avanade
Andrew Austwick
Andrew Austwick
2008-01-09 15:35:00 UTC
Aaron, thanks for your reply.

There are no KCC or replication errors.

There are bridgeheads in each site, and replication monitor shows when
replication has taken place.

It's just when I run the repadmin /bridgeheads command that I see the error.

When I have chance, I will carry out your other sugestions.

Thanks
Andrew Austwick