SYSVOL will not intialise - event 13508
TERJE Petersen
2004-06-11 06:58:16 UTC
We have a Windows 2000 domain with one domain controller.
It is in WIN2000 native mode.

We did domainprep and forestprep and the relevant updates
to deal with Exchange 2000 LDAP object mangling.

We introduced a WINDOWS2003 member server. We then ran
dcpromo.

old WIN2000 DC = ltwd-svr1
new WIN2003 DC = ssyd-fpe1

DCPROMO worked mostly except we get EVENT error 13508 and
the SYSVOL directory will not initialise.

We used a Resourse Kit tool called SONAR and found some
problems with the original domain controller that needed a
registry change (D2 parameter) to fix File Replication
Services. Once they were fixed the WIN2003 system still
did not update even over night.

We read lots but could find no answers. So we downgraded
the WIN2003 to a member server again and tried dcpromo a
second time. Still no luck, it seemed to all work but
SYSVOL would did not share and we got 13508 events.

Everything in DCDIAG passes except the following error:-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Starting test: Advertising
Warning: DsGetDcName returned information for
\\ltwd-svr1.ourdomain.com.au, when we were trying to reach
SSYD-FPE1. Server is not responding or is not
considered suitable. .........................
SSYD-FPE1 failed test Advertising
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Event 13508 suggests:-

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: NtFrs
Event Category: None
Event ID: 13508
Date: 11/06/2004
Time: 11:48:34 AM
User: N/A
Computer: SSYD-FPE1

[1] FRS can not correctly resolve the DNS name ltwd-
svr1.ourdomain.com.au from this computer.
[2] FRS is not running on ltwd-svr1.ourdomain.com.au.
[3] The topology information in the Active Directory for
this replica has not yet replicated to all the Domain
Controllers.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DNS passes all other tests. Ping by name etc.

FRS is working on ltwd-svr1 as confirmend by the SONAR
tool and other tests. Post dcpromo SONAR says FRS is
working on ssyd-fpe1 except for the sharing.

The topology all seems correct although I think that is
only an issue in a multi-domain type scenerio.

Active Directory appears to replicate without errors.

There are no routers or anything between the machines,
they both sit on the same Ethernet LAN.

Any insights or help would be great as we have spent a
week researching this and we have got nowhere.
jereme
2004-06-11 18:11:01 UTC
I have the excat problem.
I have read articale 327781 with no resolve.
my next step is to add another windows 2000 system as a
DC and upgrade it to windows 2003.
I did find that "Access this computer from Network is
missing. there is FRS logs that are created in
C:\Windows\Debug\NTFRS.
I hope some of this helps.
.
TERJE Petersen

.
Richard Chinn [MSFT]
2004-06-12 02:24:05 UTC
When FRS fires a 13508 event, it is almost always due to some network
problem. For example, DNS might not be working right. Be sure the fully
qualified name of the partner machine (ltwd-svr1.ourdomain.com.au) resolves
correctly from the SSYD-FPE1 computer.

You might have another problem though even if all that is working okay. If
I understand your situation, you had a domain with one DC. You mentioned
doing a D2 restore on this DC. Are you sure you didn't do a D4 restore?

Assuming you did the D2, after that, you ran dcpromo on the new machine.
Now it's sitting without sharing SYSVOL, firing 13508s.

Here's the possible problem. When you do a D2, an FRS member will move its
replica contents, in this case SYSVOL, from its replica root into a
"preexisting" folder. It then tries to talk with one of its partners to
verify it has all the files it should, and the files are of the correct
version. This process is called a version-vector join or VvJoin. The
problem is if you have only one machine (a replica can consist of only one
machine) there is no other partner from which to get this information. So,
the machine can get stuck in a state where it's waiting for a partner to get
this version vector data.

If your first DC is in such a state, it cannot provide the seed data to the
newly promoted DC. So the newly promoted DC will wait around until its
partner (the one that's sitting on a D2) has something to give it.

After you did your restore, did you have files in your SYSVOL, or did they
disappear? If they disappeared, did you manually copy them back in?

Please post any FRS follow up or further FRS questions to
microsoft.public.windows.server.dfs_frs.

--Richard

Please post FRS related questions to microsoft.public.windows.server.dfs_frs
and prefix the subject line with "FRS:" to make it easier to spot. Note that
FRS is used to replicate SYSVOL on domain controllers and DFS root and link
targets.

For additional FRS resources, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/frs.

.
a***@discussions.microsoft.com
2004-06-12 09:13:06 UTC
Thanks for the feedback. I can't find the
microsoft.public.windows.server.dfs_frs section that you
said to post my response into. I am using the web
interface and it is not listed at that path.

There does not appear to be any DNS issue although the
first 13508 error and the second 13508 error differ in the
information they log. The server name they are trying to
contact is in a different form in the first instance of
13508 versus the second instance. The first time the
server name is prepended with a \\. I figured that this is
wrong but the second 13508 is looking for the name without
the \\ and I figured it should work. Either way name
resolution is working 100% every way I test it. ie PING by
name, UNC share connection or otherwise. I can also manage
event viewer on the other machine so RPC is definitely
working also.

I made a D2 flag change on the WIN2000 machine. I have not
made any D4 changes. The D2 change fixed the problems that
SONAR was reporting but from what your saying I needed to
do something more.

After the D2 flag change the contents of sysvol had all
been moved to a new subdirectory called PRE-EXISTING or
some such thing. I manually copied the files back to the
original location. Is this bad? The files are just some
group policies and scripts that I can always restore from
backup if required.

Sorry that I have not posted this to the group you
requested. microsoft.public.windows.server.dfs_frs does
not appear to exist on the web interface. Is there some
other way for me to get to it? Can you answer me here
anyway?
[...]
confers no rights.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Terje Petersen
2004-06-16 02:10:04 UTC
Okay I found the URL for the newsgroup you refered me to.
I will seek follow up in that location.

http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?
newsgroup=microsoft.public.windows.server.dfs_frs
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
.
To fix your problem
2004-06-14 12:46:41 UTC
The articale dose not fix this particulare problem it
just will tell you what is wrong.
Go to ADSIEDIT. under ADSIEDIT you should find your DC
Master. Under Your Domain> Domain Contraollers> DC
Mmaser> NTRFS, there is a your connection string. If that
is not there you will not replicate.
To resolve this I had forced one of my other systems to
become DC Master and forced demote the other system. In
therory you can add the string but I have not tested
this. Make susre you stop all the FRS Service on the your
DC systems and point you DNS to the system that is goin
to be come DC Master.
.
Rocky