Migrating from one machine to another
s***@gmail.com
2006-05-03 09:13:44 UTC
Hi,

I work in an AD environment rather simple : we got international
branches that have their own domain controller. The domain is unique
and looks like "corp.company.local".
I have to migrate one those DC on a new machine. What is the right way
to do the migration ?
I assume i have to put out of the network the DC, then bring up the new
one, run a dcpromo and wait for replication...Is that all ?
Jorge Silva
2006-05-03 12:57:08 UTC
Hi

Before remove the "old server" Check:

- If the server is member of DFS.
- If it's DNS server.
- DHCP,Wins,etc.
- If it holds any Master Roles.

- If you're migrating form 2000 to 2003 then: Before you upgrade your AD
domain you need to make sure you understand what exactly exists in the
domain. There is a change in 2003 that enables SMB signing for all
communications, if you have clients that can't communicate at this level
then you need to either disable this or upgrade your clients. This includes
appliances such as Fax servers, etc. Clients such as Win98, ME and NT will
need to load the DSClient..

Check
Common Mistakes When Upgrading a Windows 2000 Domain To a Windows 2003
Domain
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=555040

Cannot Upgrade Windows 2000 Server to Windows Server 2003 with Windows
Services for UNIX 2.0 Installed
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=293783

Incorrect Schema extension for OS X prevents ForestPrep from completing in
Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=887426

- If exchange 2000 exists in the forest you need to be aware of possibly
mangling three specific attributes:
Windows Server 2003 adprep /forestprep Command Causes Mangled Attributes in
Windows 2000 Forests That Contain Exchange 2000 Servers
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314649
--
I hop that helps

Good Luck
Jorge Silva
MCSA
Systems Administrator
Paul Bergson
2006-05-03 12:57:01 UTC
There are several things you need to be concerned with. Once you have
promoted the new dc follow the directions at

http://71.214.150.200:443/windows/articles/DecommissionDC.html

For some reason the address http://www.pbbergs.com (My home address isn't
working), but the instructions in this article should work fine for you.
--
Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, CNE, CNA, CCA
http://www.pbbergs.com

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup

s***@gmail.com
2006-05-04 12:42:09 UTC
Thanks so much for your answers.
Well i had a look to the fsmo roles and it seems that the server is not
holding any role.
At least it is a GC but not the only one of the domain.
I forgot to mention that the server is also an Exchange server 2003. So
i guess that logically i have to promote the new server as DC before
installing the Exchange software, am i right?
Paul Bergson

s***@gmail.com
2006-05-04 14:34:43 UTC
Well i dont have the choice
Paul Bergson
2006-05-04 19:26:24 UTC
Bummer, they aren't easy to untangle.

Well i dont have the choice
s***@gmail.com
2006-05-05 08:18:30 UTC
that is a special setting for a samall african location It is not worth
to implement two servers, we just install an exchange server there
cause the link is slow