dcpromo- select source DC?
Andrew Story
2009-12-04 15:05:07 UTC
Hi all,

I've an issue promoting a new DC into an existing domain and think it's
trying to use a DC as it's source which I've discovered has a problem.

Is it possible to select a source DC for the new server?

Cheers, Andy
Paul Bergson [MVP-DS]
2009-12-04 15:15:42 UTC
If you have a problem dc, I would get thst resolved before promoting
anything else into the domain. If that is not possible, how about just
disconnecting it during the promo. I think you should resolve first, you
are just asking for trouble.

Run diagnostics against your Active Directory domain.

If you don't have the support tools installed, install them from your server
install disk.
d:\support\tools\setup.exe

Run dcdiag, netdiag and repadmin in verbose mode.
-> DCDIAG /V /C /D /E /s:yourdcname > c:\dcdiag.log
-> netdiag.exe /v > c:\netdiag.log (On each dc)
-> repadmin.exe /showrepl dc* /verbose /all /intersite > c:\repl.txt
-> ntfrsutl ds your_dc_name > c:\sysvol.log
-> dnslint /ad /s "ip address of your dc"

**Note: Using the /E switch in dcdiag will run diagnostics against ALL dc's
in the forest. If you have significant numbers of DC's this test could
generate significant detail and take a long time. You also want to take into
account slow links to dc's will also add to the testing time.

If you download a gui script I wrote it should be simple to set and run
(DCDiag and NetDiag). It also has the option to run individual tests without
having to learn all the switch options. The details will be output in
notepad text files that pop up automagically.

The script is located on my website at
http://www.pbbergs.com/windows/downloads.htm

Just select both dcdiag and netdiag make sure verbose is set. (Leave the
default settings for dcdiag as set when selected)

When complete search for fail, error and warning messages.

Description and download for dnslint
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321045
--
Paul Bergson
MVP - Directory Services

http://www.pbbergs.com

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup This
posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Cheers, Andy
Andrew Story
2009-12-04 15:49:33 UTC
kj [SBS MVP]
2009-12-04 16:59:10 UTC
I'd still be inclined to rid myself of a troublesome DC before adding
another, but depending upon the versions, use an "install from media"
method, or a command line or unattended dcpromo using
"ReplicationSourceDC:".
Post by Andrew Story
Hello Paul,
The other DC's are good (I run dcpromo across the enterprise every
weekend). The issue with the one DC I've discovered is bad has event
Source SceCli
Security policies are propagated with warning. 0x5 : Access is denied.
For best results in resolving this event, log on with a
non-administrative account and search http://support.microsoft.com
for "Troubleshooting Event 1202s". 0x5 access is denied.
Also every 5 minutes is event ID 427
Source ESENT
Security policies are propagated with warning. 0x5 : Access is denied.
For best results in resolving this event, log on with a
non-administrative account and search http://support.microsoft.com
for "Troubleshooting Event 1202s".
I've read technote http://support.microsoft.com/kb/284461 but it
*************************
Error 0 to send control flag 1 over to server.
GPLinkDomain GPO_INFO_FLAG_BACKGROUND )
GPLinkDomain GPO_INFO_FLAG_BACKGROUND )
GPLinkOrganizationUnit GPO_INFO_FLAG_BACKGROUND )
[Mapping] gpt00000.dom = .JW Global Client Settings
Done some googling and it appears to be permissions base don the
winnt\security folder although I can;t spot anything.
Any ideas?
Post by Paul Bergson [MVP-DS]
[...]
rights. "Andrew Story" <andrewDOTstoryATjameswalkerDOTbiz> wrote in
/kj
Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]
2009-12-05 11:33:48 UTC
Hello Andrew,

Please provide the outputs requested from Paul. Also what do you mean you
run dcpromo every weekend across the enterprise?

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.
Post by Paul Bergson [MVP-DS]
[...]
rights.
Cheers, Andy
Andrew Story
2009-12-07 08:54:26 UTC
Sorry meant dcdiag is run every week!
Post by Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]
Hello Andrew,
Please provide the outputs requested from Paul. Also what do you mean you
run dcpromo every weekend across the enterprise?
Best regards
Meinolf Weber
Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confers no rights.
Cheers, Andy
Andrew Story
2009-12-07 11:37:12 UTC
Believe it or not a reboot of the DC in question has fixed this particular
issues with access on the sysvol share and GPO's applying correclty.

Been online for 2 hours now with no errors reported in event viewer.

Can't beat working in IT can you :-]
Cheers, Andy
Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]
2009-12-07 11:46:58 UTC
Hello Andrew,

Nice to hear, sometimes it needs only a reboot after some changes. Just keep
on checking with the support tools.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.
Cheers, Andy
Paul Bergson [MVP-DS]
2009-12-07 13:21:56 UTC
What do you mean you have run dcpromom across the enterprise every weekend?
Did you mean dcdiag?
Is there a firewall in there somewhere that could be blocking replication?

I guess I would start using dfsdiag to help diagnose this issue, if you have
run dcdiag without any reported errors. Even though the below line points
to server 2008, you said you were using 2003 R2 so this should work for you
as well.

http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/archive/2008/10/24/what-does-dfsdiag-do.aspx
--

Post by Andrew Story
Hello Paul,
The other DC's are good (I run dcpromo across the enterprise every
weekend). The issue with the one DC I've discovered is bad has event ID
I've read technote http://support.microsoft.com/kb/284461 but it doesn;t