Deploy Printers with GP in Win2k3 R2
abckid
2007-09-17 06:20:01 UTC
Hi,

We have a Win2K3 Std domain at Central Office. We have Win2K3 std DC at our
site. We have installed a new Win2K3 - R2 Std Server as File & Print Server.
This is a member of the domain.

The schema is upgraded to R2 Version 31. There are no DNS or Replication
problems.

There is an option from the Print Management in Win2K3 R2 to deploy the
printer with Group Policy. Link to same is -
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Deploying-Printers-Group-Policy-Windows-R2.html.

Now when i follow the steps as mentioned in the above link, the printer is
not getting deployed with Per User settings. I used the parameter to log the
error and it was as below

Microsoft Windows Operating System Deploy Printer Connections Utility v1.0

... Logging enabled by command line switch.
... Logging started at 11:52:41 AM 9/16/2007.
... Found and applied this GPO: DeployPrinters.
... Found Deployed Printer Connection setting \\server3\Printer in Active
Directory.
... Failed to search local GPO. Access is denied.
... Registry search for installed printers failed. The operation completed
successfully.
... Failed to deploy per user connection \\server3\Printer. Access is denied.

Since there was no mentioning about the printer sharing, i did not share the
printer. After i shared the printer with any name, the user were able to get
the printer connection. But i am not sure, that do we have to share the
printer or the script would connect it without sharing ? (wild thought !!!)

Further i have created a group and the required users are members of this
group. So only users i add in this group gets the connection to particular
printer. But when i remove the user from the group, the printer should not be
deployed for that user, but i see after deploying the printer once, it does
not get disconnected even if the user is not a member of the GP that deploys
that printer. Further if the printer gets deployed with GP then the log would
show the connection made, which does not. So the GP is not actually applied,
but the printer connections seems to be permanent.

Please guide.

Thanks,

abckid.
Anthony
2007-09-17 07:47:02 UTC
This technet article contains a bit more detail of what is going on:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2006/08/ManagePrinters/.

First, I would establish that a given printer can be deployed in the normal
way, through the Add a Printer client function. Then you could check that
the per-user policy is being applied to the users you expect. Then finally
you can see if you have any errors from the Pushprinterconnections.exe
client side.

Hope that helps,
Anthony - - %20
http://www.airdesk.co.uk
abckid.
abckid
2007-09-17 10:20:01 UTC
hi,

Thanks for reply and the link,

Add a Printer client function works.
Per-user policy works only after i share the printer to be deployed. I
wanted to make sure that is it required to share the printer or not to deploy
with GP in R2 ?
The errors are coming after above two working successfully.

Thanks

abckid.
abckid.
Anthony
2007-09-17 14:38:32 UTC
I mean "Add a Printer" from the _client_. This requires the printer on the
_server_ to be Shared.
You can manage printer connections through a logon script, but this R2
functionality makes that process easier to administer,
Anthony
http://www.airdesk.com
abckid.
abckid
2007-09-18 07:32:06 UTC
Hi,

Thanks for reply.

I mean the same too. The printer is shared and i can add the printer from
the client, selecting the option - A network printer in the wizard.

I can deploy the printers with R2. The question is - Is the printer that is
being deployed is required to be shared ?

Also once the printer is deployed (after sharing), with GP as in R2 Printer
management, it is not getting removed later. It remains as a permanent
connect to the clients. I have created a GP and it applies only to a Group. I
have added all users that require access to printer to this group. So when
the user logs on, the printer is successfully deployed. But when i remove any
particular user from that group, the printer should be removed the next time
user logs off and logs in, which does not happen. The printer connectin still
exists.

Thanks,

abc.
abckid.
Anthony
2007-09-18 08:20:14 UTC
OK, so
1) Check the printer can be deployed normally: this is done
2) Check the policy is being applied/unapplied as you expect, using the
Group Policy tools
3) Check the errors from the Pushprinterconnections.exe client side
I don't know what you mean by sharing the printer on the client side, and
whatever it is it is not necessary.
Anthony
http://www.airdesk.co.uk
Post by abckid
[...]
!!!)
abckid.
abckid
2007-09-18 10:12:04 UTC
Hi,

Thanks for reply.

I did not mean sharing the printer on the client side.

I have a print server (R2). i am using the deploy printer with GP. As per
the procedures mentioned in the R2 Deploy printer with GP, it is not
mentioined to share the printer on the SERVER. I had also provided the error
log in my first post that i am getting when deploying the print without
sharing it on the server. The log is as below,

Microsoft Windows Operating System Deploy Printer Connections Utility v1.0

... Logging enabled by command line switch.
... Logging started at 11:52:41 AM 9/16/2007.
... Found and applied this GPO: DeployPrinters.
... Found Deployed Printer Connection setting \\server3\printer in Active
Directory.
... Failed to search local GPO. Access is denied.
... Registry search for installed printers failed. The operation completed
successfully.
... Failed to deploy per user connection \\server3\printer. Access is denied.

The error "Access is denied" was resolved after i shared the printer to be
deployed on the SERVER. So lets consider this as resolved.

If i give acces to user1 for a printer to be deployed, it is successfully
deployed. Now, in case in future i do not want to give access to user1 to
that printer, then i just have to remove the access to the GP for that user.
This is not happening. The printer connection remains permanent even after i
remove the access to the GP for user1.

I hope i am clear. Thanks again.

abc.
abckid.
Anthony
2007-09-18 11:24:18 UTC
OK, so once you share the printer on the server, the only problem you have
is that the policy is not reversed when the user is removed from the group.
I think that is the expected behaviour. You are no longer applying the
policy but you are not reversing it. You would need to find another way to
remove the printer:
- keep applying the policy but remove the printer from it
- applying a different printer policy without that printer
- a script to delete printers,
Anthony,
http://www.airdesk.co.uk
abckid.
abckid
2007-09-18 12:10:06 UTC
Hi,

Thanks for reply.

Well, as it was mentioned in the Final Tips in the link below, i guessed it
should have been tested.
Link -
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Deploying-Printers-Group-Policy-Windows-R2.html.

So a script is the best way to remove the printer in that case. A script
would also be a better way then to deploy the printers. Since i have most of
the PCs running Windows 2000 prof., i would not be able to deploy it to the
Computer Configuratiion since it is supported up to Windows XP only.

Thanks for your guidance.

abc.